Thursday, August 15, 2013

What happened to summer?

We are having a lovely summer this year.  The garden looks amazing and the temps have been in the very comfortable 70s.  And dry.  If I weren't a gardener I'd be loving it (well, I'm still loving it...it's great fall-like sleeping weather) - but this just isn't working for those of us who want to see our tomatoes ripen! 

Here's the extent of our ripe tomatoes thus far:


Cute, right? These are sweet pea currant tomatoes and this is as large as they get.  They are great for salads and for a certain little girl to count and carry around and munch on. 

The rest of our tomatoes look more like this.  All green!  Many, fully formed.  I'm patiently waiting. 


 
Multiplier onions:  a favorite!

Morning glory teepee.  Note to self:  plant at least three MGs around this puppy next year.  Don't mess with the peas or runner beans (or, just mix a few in but be sure to let the MGs anchor the teepee).  We need big, bold, and dependable here.  The garden kitch, annuals, and small pots of herbs around the entrance made a nice touch.

Zinnia cutting garden

These are the two raised beds Brian built in early June as a birthday gift to me.  They are wonderful! 
I envision more in my future!

It looks to be a great year for pears!

I hope to be back in a few weeks to report that I have more ripe tomatoes than I know what to do with!

No comments:

Post a Comment