Monday, June 28, 2010

Jar Inventory

Today I inventoried my empty canning jars in preparation for canning season.  It's hard to believe it, but canning has already begun!  In the last two weeks, we've made freezer jam and garlic scape pesto for the freezer.  Now we have an opportunity to buy Georgia peaches by the half-bushel beginning on Friday, and I'm salivating at the thought of eating nice, sweet peaches throughout the winter.  Also, I've never made peach jam but that sounds really good as well. 

Anyhow, here's my jar inventory:
1/4 pint:  1
1/2 pint:  24
pint:  52 (33R/19W)
quart:  33 (15R/18W)
R=regular mouth
W=wide mouth

lids:
73 R
8 W

I think I am set for a while;  the only thing I need is wide-mouth lids!  It just happens that I got a tip yesterday that there was a coupon in the Sunday paper for lids (also one for jars as well).  (Thanks, Amanda!)

My plethora of jars reminds me, I once read the blog post of a woman who was bragging about her lovely stash of home-canned food.  She cans food in quantities far, far beyond what I do:  dozens and dozens of pints and quarts of all kinds of fruits and veggies.  Anyhow, she had photos included but stated that in a few days she'd take the photos down from her blog as she was afraid of being burglarized in the event of a large-scale crisis of some sort.  So just in case you have any intention of that, know that MY JARS ARE EMPTY, PEOPLE!   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment