Sunday, August 8, 2010

Another Canning Update

7/19/10:  20 pints of GA peaches, canned in white grape juice;  19 of which sealed (my friend Cori canned along with me while our kids played;  we all had a blast!);  Presto recipe
7/24/10:  3 half-pints of peach-white grape jelly, made with the juice we cooked the peaches in on 7/19 ;  Sure-Gel no-sugar recipe;  I used no sugar at all (you can choose how much to use) and (big shock!) it's quite tart!;  Sure-Gel recipe
8/7/10:  4 pints of dill pickles (2 with garlic;  2 without);  BBB recipe

When Aaron (age 6) saw the pickles spears neatly packed into the wide-mouth jars, he asked, "how'd you do that?!" as though I had turned water into wine, which naturally filled me with pride.  He had been expecting pickle "coins".  

Slow canning month due to travels and a torn-up kitchen (we got new flooring and fridge this week - I'm in heaven!).

I'm eagerly anticipating apple and pear season!  I had also hoped to can some of our raspberries this fall (normally we only freeze them) in the form of jam and pie filling, but I'm not sure we'll have a crop at all due to way too much rain.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment