Last week our new freezer arrived: 21 cu ft upright chest freezer, manual defrost. It is amazing! It is HUGE! We are slowly filling it up. Yesterday we purchased 10 lbs of blueberries at the farmer's market. Most will be flash frozen individually on cookie sheets, but I'm also excited about trying my hand at fruit leather and jam.
A couple weeks ago I purchased a new canning book: Put 'Em Up by Sherri Brooks Vinton. While we were at camp, I drooled over her recipes, most of which are small-batch and encourage local eating. It's fun to have something other than the old standby of the Ball Blue Book as a food preservation resource, and the book lists recipes in sections based on the main ingredient, so it's handy to turn to, say, the berry section and find all kinds of options.
Yesterday I made Sweet Pepper Jam, which is from the above-mentioned book. Yum. I'm imagining it as a tasty spread on sandwiches, or on crackers paired with a spreadable cheese. Jams and jellies are such an easy way to can (the recipes are simple and they don't require a long processing time in the water bath) and there are some really unique recipes out there. There are also some safe ways to experiment with the recipes (not the case with all canned goods). I'm debating about attempting an herb jelly next, but can't decide what to try...lavendar and fruit juice? Maybe lemon balm? Or something savory like sage? I'm having a hard time imagining the taste of the finished product but I'm excited to try it.
8/21/10 Sweet Pepper Jam (5 half-pints, 1 quarter-pint, water bath canning, Put 'Em Up)
Sunday, August 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I tried the slow roasted tomatoes that you did from Put Em Up... delicious! So darn good! Thanks so much for the tip!!
ReplyDelete