Saturday, September 5, 2009

Cutting Garden!

(rows 1,2, 4)

This is the first year I've had a cutting garden, and I'm loving it! All of my cutting flowers were started from seed. In our yard, we have Sensation Mix cosmos (pinks and white) in Aaron's garden. They are beautiful, and very prolific! Some of the stems are taller than I am! In our garden next door (more on that later), I have five five-foot rows of flowers. Front, to back, they are: two rows of zinnias (mixed colors), Torch Tithonia (aka Mexican sunflowers, orange), and Bright Lights Mixed cosmos (orange, yellow, white), and more Sensation Mix cosmos. The zinnias are gorgeous! I'll definitely do more of those in the future, and I'd love to try other varieties, especially some with larger flowers. The Mexican sunflowers are beautiful, but they definitely need more than one foot between rows. They stems are huge and heavy and they've started to lean on the zinnias. They're also much taller than the 3' the seed package indicated...more like 6'! The stems are soft and fuzzy, which was fun and unexpected. When cut, they like to droop, so they're not my favorite cutting flower, but they are pretty. Row 4 (Bright Lights cosmos) is doing so-so. That, too, could use more space. There's lots of foliage but not very many flowers. I like them but don't necessarily need to do them in the future. Finally, the Sensation Mix cosmos in this garden are pathetic and nothing like those in Aaron's garden. Although they're all from the same seed package, most of the seedlings were nibbled on mercilessly by assorted small animals this spring. I have a feeling that the calla lillies in DS's garden were a deterrent to the hungry pests (nothing planted near calla lillies was touched -- it was wonderful!), but there were none in the garden next door to protect these cosmos.

(Aaron's Sensation Mix cosmos)

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I want a cutting garden. I want to hear more... I need the space to do it... does it look tidy or unruly? (I am wondering if I could put a cutting garden on the outside of my fence in the side yard... it would be entirely visible to the street, but it would be safe from my toddler and it would get great sun. How did you get the seeds to germinate properly? I am always so nervous with direct sow of seeds so tiny! I am a wimp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, you totally can do this, Sara! Yes, it does look a bit unruly, but I prefer the term "casual." LOL I like that cottage-gardeny look anyhow. That would look great with your fence as a backdrop! I had no trouble with germination at all, just followed the package directions. I know what you mean though, I always think, "oh there's no way, they'll wash away, they'll get lost..." but they do germinate! In fact, so many of them germinated that it does contribute to that messy look. I just don't have the heart to thin plants; I'm greedy, I want them all! :) Feel free to come over and see my garden sometime if you want! I love to show it off!

    ReplyDelete